Thursday, February 02, 2006

Book Clubbing again


Things have been hoppin' in book club world! The uvBookClub is on a new cycle of one month fiction/one month non-fiction. Our first non-fiction book was Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer. To be honest, I didn't finish the book, but it did lead to some interesting discussion about Mormonism, and religious extremism in general. I thought the writing was eh, and the journalistic ethics severely lacking - I also felt a bit icky reading the book since it justified any snarky thoughts I'd ever had about Mormonism and raised me an extra snark. Our next book is Only Begotten Daughter by James Morrow. I had some trouble tracking the book down, but the book store has a copy in for me, and it seems like an interesting read.

I slacked a bit with my other book club and did not read our January selection, Zadie Smith's On Beauty - between getting engaged, holiday traveling and being broke as a joke, I never got around to procuring or reading it. But my local library finally got a copy in for me (ironically, exactly one day after my book club discussed it!) and I'm really digging it now. Next week we'll meet to discuss Ursula, Under by Ingrid Hill - a really wonderful book, highly recommended! I'm excited to see what everyone else thought of it.

1 Comments:

At 5:12 AM, Blogger Deborah said...

Please, please help me with this book. I've been nursing it for far too long and want to finish it because, well, I liked her interview with Charlie Rose... Anyway, everytime I attempt to read more, I end up knitting....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home